Updated: Sep 6, 2020
Start here to learn everything about Home Theater
Complete Home Theater Process Checklist The Theater design process is divided in to eight sections:
● Assembling the Team
● Functional Design
● Interior Design
● Electronic System Design
● Project Management
For the most part, these steps are listed in chronological order but they can also be performed simultaneously. For example, project management is carefully monitored throughout the length of our work. At Bravo AV, we know that a masterfully crafted theater is not something that can be easily drawn up and constructed. We approach every phase of our work with the focused goal of building the theater you envision.
Discovery During this first phase, we meet with clients to determine their goals, timeline, and budget. Should you choose Bravo, we will discuss questions such as:
● Has the space been selected?
● What are the neighboring spaces used for?
● Is the space unfinished?
● What is your seating capacity goal?
● How important is noise isolation (isolating the theater from outside noises)?
● What level of audio and video performance is desired, i.e.: Good, Great, Awesome, Excellent?
● Who will use this system?
● What kind of trim are you expecting?
● What level of acoustical treatment would you like? (this relates to audio quality in the room)
● What kind of lighting controls would you like?
● Would you like to be able to play video games in your theater?
● Is there a date you would like this theater done by?
● What is your ideal and maximum budget?
After this meeting and assembling the "Team" the design process can begin.
Assemble Professional Team Expertise is born out of specialization. Bravo AV specializes in home theater design and construction (among other things). There will likely be some work items in your project that will be outside of Bravo’s expertise and capability. We are happy to work with contractors of your choice or we are able to bring together a team of contractors we have worked with that we know produce great results. A typical home theater build team consists of:
● Theater Designer/AV Specialist (Bravo AV)
● General Contractor or Builder
● Interior Designer
● Acoustical Engineer
● HVAC Specialist
● Rough Constructions
● Finish carpenter
● Wall/Ceiling Covering
Functional Design & Dimensional Analysis During this first phase, we meet with clients to determine their goals, timeline, and budget. Should you choose Bravo, we will discuss questions such as:
● Site visit to field measure and assess site conditions
● Create a fully dimensioned shell plan with the architect. At this point you know how much interior space you have to work with
● Select projector and screen
● Determine screen placement
● Determine projector placement given throw distance capabilities of the projector
● Determine speaker location
● Determine chair type, seating layout, and riser geometry (if needed)
● Complete sight-line analysis
● Determine equipment rack type and location
● Layout equipment in the rack including heat management (cooling) for the equipment
● Create lighting design, determine power requirements, locate switches, and outlets with electrician
● Create HVAC design with HVAC specialist. Should be dedicated to this room and very quiet during operation (<15dB)
● Create engineering documents detailing above. These documents are to be signed off on by the customer